Sunday, January 10, 2010

Be about it, don't talk about it.

As I was doing the dinner dishes tonight I started thinking about a phrase that D and I throw around a lot. I started thinking about my 2010 goals list and how I can make sure I'm proactive about getting those things accomplished. I haven't shared my list with anyone except D because I'm worried there might be something on there that I won't cross off by the end of the year. I don't like that feeling and I started to think about how we tell each other to "BE about it, don't TALK about it." This was the case with getting in shape, fitting into the clothes I wanted to be in, eating the way I knew I should. When I stopped giving those things lip service and started putting all that jibjab into practice that's when I got results.

The things on my list aren't overwhelming, there's no sky diving or mountain climbing. What I'm concerned about is that my ambivalence to one or more items as the months fly by will cause my list to get away from me. After telling two or three people (ok, my whole Facebook community) that one of the items on my list is to read 24 books in 2010, I started feeling guilty that I hadn't yet begun my first book by January 5. At that point I decided to stop talking about it and actually get about doing it. I quickly wrapped up the book I'd been reading in December and sunk my teeth into book #1 of 2010. Now I just have to get about making the rest of the things on my list happen.

No comments: