Monday, October 19, 2009

So, I'm here. And I'm watching Golden Girls. And I'm catching up on my blog. And so much has happened in the last bunch of weeks that there's no way I'll remember to cover it all. But I'll do the best I can.

We day-tripped down to the San Diego IKEA two weekends ago to buy a 'craft center' for B. We came back with a long table, a storage box, a desk chair, and a supply organizer. B has been at that table more in the last 2 weeks than anywhere else in the house. Sunday we went to see Where the Wild Things Are and when we came home B sat at her craft table for 2 hours putting together a book of the movie plot to the best of her memory. We weren't sure if the movie made an impact on her, but after she showed us her book we knew it had affected her in some deep way. The movie was a stunning look at the delicate psyche of a child living in a struggling broken home. There's no way kids know this. There's no way kids can understand that each monster is a facet of Max's psychological identity, and that KW represents his mom and how he sees her as a massively depressed, vacant, absent parent who he somehow knows still loves him and wants to protect him from harm. But the movie plot managed to imprint some kind of knowing on B's delicate brain...as it did mine and D's. Fantastic movie, I highly recommend it.

I'm going to jump quickly and finally to a training update and then end this because it's going to get out of hand with recounting if I don't. I'll try to be more diligent about blogging this week to fill in readers about Nat's Fall Tea Party, B's First Crush, and some other odds and ends.

Since I've been eating clean and training regularly I've noticed a huge difference in my body. I haven't had measurements taken but I'm absolutely certain I've lost many inches. All my clothes fit differently (better) and I'm able to wear size small now in dresses. I swear that fat has been practically falling off of my body in formerly impossible places. I no longer have any semblance of a muffin top and my thighs are the slimmest they have ever been. I'm becoming lean and the fruits of my labors are shining through. I can see muscle definition in my back and shoulders and quads and calves. I've finally 'discovered' what works. And I have to give credit where credit is due. Dave has been telling me for years (not nagging, just observing) that all my hard work is for nothing if I don't change my eating habits. He couldn't have been more right. In the past 2 months since I've changed the way I eat I have seen the most dramatic improvements. And what gives me the most pleasure is knowing that this time it's for real. This isn't a crash diet where the flab is going to come right back in a month. This is a life change that is going to stick with me for a long long time. In the long run I'm going to be healthier and stronger when I'm older instead of feeble and sickly. And for now I'm able to take better care of my family because I have more energy and a better attitude. Not to mention that I now know how and what to cook to ensure that they all stay healthy, too. It's not easy, it's just totally worth it.

1 comment:

ohchicken said...

1. i REALLY want to see this movie, esp after hearing how bea processed it.

2. can you talk more about eating clean soon?

i love you, even though you didn't invite me to your tea party.