Sunday, November 14, 2010

Birthday Nostalgia

B's party was a wonderful success, actually, it probably couldn't have gone any better. There were 8 boys and girls in attendance, a pretty perfect number. The jump-jump was a nice size and accommodated all the children and kept them busy and happy. We had a couple party games that went very well and even though most of the kids didn't eat lunch, the moms thought the octopi hotdogs and organic tater tots were a great choice. The weather was gorgeous, and my heart was just full to bursting.

In the morning hours before the party began I suffered the most bittersweet nostalgia I've felt since we moved here from Pennsylvania. The smell of a cake baking in the oven and frosting warming on the counter, the soft crinkle of crepe paper streamers in the warm breeze, and the heady feeling of anticipation, it all smacked of the many many parties my mom had for me as a child. My heart ached with the thought of those memories, but at the same time I was buoyant with the knowledge that I was just then providing my daughter with the same indelible memories.

At the end of the night after everyone had gone home, the house was clean and quiet and B and I sat down with a bowl of popcorn and The Cosby Show. B hugged up close to me and said "Thanks for the popcorn, mommy. And thanks for everything you did for me today."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so glad it went well, but seriously you could have posted one picture on here for me to see, just one?