Friday, January 04, 2008

breakfast al fresco


Today I burned the crap out of our steel cut oat porridge breakfast. Now, this has happened before, but today "the house had to scream at us" before I realized what was happening. Dave was very upset by the 2 smoke alarms going off first thing in the morning as we were all still trying to wake up.
So as Davey walked around throwing open windows and turning on ceiling fans I took the oatmeal pan (most likely trash at this point) and set it outside on the concrete to finish smoking.
I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to cooking I missed out on the Martha Stewart gene BIG TIME. But this oatmeal incident really bothers me because it's less about my cooking ability and more about my brain...my non-memory brain.
Just in case you don't know steel cut oats take about 45 minutes to cook, and I do use a timer. However, when one forgets to turn the heat from "blasting high" to "simmer" it only takes about 15 minutes to turn the whole shebang into concrete in a black pan.
So now I'm one Revere pan lighter and wondering how many more years I have before I can start calling things like these "senior moments."

No comments: