Thursday, December 02, 2010

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts

wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?

Well, I'm ashamed to say that nablopomo for me really fell apart during the last week of November. And by "fell apart" I mean to say that I didn't blog at all. But I did really well until that point! I'm not going to count it as a success, though, because that would lead to a false sense of following through on my promises and the road to hell is paved with false senses of things. I really came close to finishing strong, but as D always says "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades" so since my blog contains neither of those items then I'll just have to try again next year. Bullocks.

While I have you here, though, allow me to draw your attention away from my failures and onto my successes! I recently tried this new thing with parenting. I like to call it "The laissez-faire approach." It was actually really cool. I'll elaborate.

My darling, sweet, ever thoughtful N hand delivered a gingerbread house kit for me and B to put together. My original thought was "Oh God, what a mess that will be. And what if it won't stay together? I'll have to do most of it because B just won't know how to do it right. I'll need to set aside an entire Saturday for this project." Yeah, there's a glimpse inside the madness for you. And that's just a gingerbread house kit. Can you imagine...? Anyway, one night I just decided that I was going to be fun mom and I called B into the kitchen and announced proudly that we were going to build a gingerbread house. I immediately regretted my decision when I opened the kit and saw all the tiny sprinkles and bag of royal icing mix. What had I done?

Long story short I almost had a meltdown when the walls kept falling in and I realized that I had built it wrong and we had to start from scratch. B covered her eyes at one point and said "I can't watch!" BUT (yes, there's a life changing 'but') I took a deep breath, looked at the worry on B's face and laughed. I just laughed hysterically and said "oh well!" as the whole house came tumbling down. That simple act relaxed the entire mood of the kitchen and we proceeded to build the most unstable, ramshackle gingerbread house that was ever bedecked with 2 pounds of candy and icing. We laughed and ate icing out of the pastry bag (I know!!) and it was fun. It was really fun. More and more often I feel like I might actually be getting the hang of this parenting thing. And it's only taken me 8 years!

The roof of the gingerbread house. As an added fun-mom bonus we decided to really eat it after we had made it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David