Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Maid Simple: Happy Mom

After reading Nat's latest blog post I realized that neither of us has posted a Maid Simple idea in quite some time. One of us has a better reason for that than the other one. But I'm not going to beat myself up over it and here is why:

This book has changed the way I see motherhood. Not dramatically, but in dramatically subtle ways. When I ordered the book I expected tips like Eat Better, and Exercise More, but at the same time I was expecting the book, written by the same author as Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters to be fully enlightening. It was, and it wasn't about making sure you get to the gym. It's an up-close look at how faith and friends help us mothers make it through the crucial child-rearing years and beyond. Honestly, it's a must read for moms. I promise you won't be disappointed.

So, how does this book make life more simple? The one major lesson I've learned from reading it is to Let Things Go. We can't be everywhere, all the time, and do everything for everyone. Whether we drop the ball and forget our kids' field trip date, or just have to say NO to one more batch of cupcakes, we need to have grace with ourselves. We need to shrug our shoulders and say Oh Well. It doesn't make us bad moms, and it doesn't mean we don't love our kids. Putting this small idea into practice will free up your days (for, say, some extra reading time) and free up your conscience from the mind-numbing guilt that comes from sending our kids to the bookfair with no money.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This book is changing my life.Thanks for recommending it.